The Tower of Technobabble team (from left), Ben Schneider, Paul Moeller and Dave Davis, interview Frankenstein's monster during their world-record webscast. Photo by ????.

The “Tower of Technobabble” team (from left): Ben Schneider, Paul Moeller and Dave Davis interview Frankenstein’s monster during their world-record webcast. Photo by Gina Moeller.

You may remember that back in late May, the three guys behind local sci-fi/nerd podcast “Tower of Technobabble” went for a Guinness World Record for longest uninterrupted live webcast. Well, as of last week, it’s official: They did it.

Guinness informed the podcasters – Ben Schneider, Dave Davis and Paul Moeller – they had indeed followed all the strict guidelines properly and broken the record.

“The longest uninterrupted live webcast is 41 hours, and was achieved by Paul Moeller, Dave Davis, and Ben Schneider (all USA), at the Wonderfest Convention, in Louisville, Kentucky, USA, between 30 May and 1 June 2014,” the Guinness website announced.

The trio did occasionally take individual breaks, and a steady stream of friends and followers, not to mention their wives, were on hand to lend support. Schneider was armed with a binder filled with pages printed from the Internet to keep from running out of material to talk about, and the podcasters interviewed all manner of costumed (and non-costumed) Wonderfest attendees and vendors, from Stormtroopers to movie monsters.

It wasn’t easy, according to Schneider.

“I was worried around 2 a.m. that first night,” he said. “Apparently, I was talking to Paul and fell asleep for a few seconds in mid-sentence.”

He said among the plans to keep time moving were acting out old-time radio plays and even Skyping with a friend from Britain in the wee hours of late Saturday/early Sunday.

“But that first night, we had an hour where, for whatever reason, we didn’t plan as well, so we had to talk to each other,” Schneider said. “And that makes you sleepy.”

Of course, the “Tower of Technobabble” guys heaped thanks upon the witnesses, who were not allowed to interact with the podcast; they just sat and watched. And if even one of them had not shown up, based on the stringent Guinness rules, the record might not have been approved. But for 41 straight hours, each one held down his or her two-hour shift without fail.

They all, to a person, went above and beyond,” Davis said. “Without the support of our wives, the fine people at Wonderfest and all our witnesses, there’s no way we could have pulled this off. It takes a village to break a record.”