Right now, Saturday’s high will be 98 degrees — according to the iPhone’s weather app — partly cloudy and, considering typical weather conditions in Louisville in the summer, steamy. So it’s safe to say the weather will feel pretty tropical — perfect for a luau.
The NuLu Business Association is hosting a day-long luau, and area businesses are getting in on the fun. Some are offering seasonal discounts, others are hosting luau-related activities.
Special events at the NuLu Summer Luau include:
- Tropical drink contest at participating restaurants/bars
- Limbo contests with prizes at Garage Bar at 3, 6 and 9 p.m.
- Pig roast in Green Building parking lot from 1-8 p.m.
- Surf music by the Get Down at Peace of the Earth from 1-3 p.m.
- Official after-party at Galaxie from 9 p.m.-midnight
- Free leis at participating retailers
- Tropical photo ops
- Event T-shirts and hula skirts for sale at participating locations
You’ve got the sights, the tastes and the sounds of Hawaii. All that is missing is the sand and the surf.
Attendees are encouraged to break out their best” Magnum P.I.”-wear (that means Hawaiian shirts, for all you millennials). Grass skirts are encouraged. The event is free and kicks off at 1 p.m. on Saturday, July 22.
More information is available on the NuLu Summer Luau event page on Facebook.