Strive, an arts and wellness service, is hosting a day-long event on Saturday, Aug. 1, featuring Nia, drum circles and music by Appalatin and Small Time Napoleon at La La Land, 1139 Lexington Road.
Strive offers wellness workshops and music therapy and also provides event programming.
The schedule for Saturday:
- 2:30-3:30 p.m.: Jugband instrument-making with Jim McGee
- 3:30-4 p.m.: Kids dance with Alexandercalls
- 4-5 p.m.: Nia with Maria
- 5-5:30 p.m.: Drum circle with Cheyenne Mize and Nina Rodahaffer
- 6-6:45 p.m.: Appalatin
- 7-7:45 p.m.: Small Time Napoleon with Meg Samples
- 8-8:45 p.m.: Howell Dawdy
- 9-10 p.m.: DJ Alli with live horns and drums (dance party)
The event also will feature two raffles — one for a kid’s guitar and one for an adult guitar — and an art show.
Tacos by New Wave Burritos will be available as will adult beverages by West Sixth, Bell’s and BBC and tea by Rooibee Red. Admission is $10 and $5 for children 10 and under.
Strive was founded in April by Cheyenne Mize and Nina Rodahaffer. They hope to have a downtown wellness center sometime in the fall. Currently, Strive is conducting a grant program with funds from Bridge the Gap Inc. to provide individual music therapy services at reduced rates to children.