Thanks for playing Know your City! Let’s review the questions.
- What year did Denny Crum start coaching the Louisville Cardinals basketball team? Extra points if you can tell us what coach he took over from.
- What team did the Cardinals beat to win their second NCAA championship?
- What Cardinal player set a vertical leap record of 48 inches?
And here are the answers:
- 1971–Denny Crum coached the Cards from 1971 to 2001, taking over for John Dromo. Crum’s prolific post-season play and calm demeanor earned him the nickname “Mr. March” and “Cool Hand Luke.” [Note: You’re a Cards scholar if you knew that Howard Stacy coached as the interim coach in 1971.]
- Duke Blue Devils–In 1986, thanks to a phenomenal effort from Pervis Ellison and clutch defense from Jeff Hall, the second-seeded Louisville Cardinals pulled off the upset against the No. 1 Blue Devils to win their second NCAA title in school history.
- Darrell Griffith aka “Dr. Dunkenstein”–Griffith’s 48-inch vertical was recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records in 1987.
Thanks for playing!