Thanks for playing Know Your City! Let’s review the questions.
- In 2018, Spalding University officially changed the name of its athletic and activities building back to “Columbia Gym.” What’s the significance of Columbia Gym?
- John “Jack” McCall was a native Louisvillian who, unfortunately, is known for killing a folk hero of the American West in Deadwood, South Dakota. Who did he kill?
- In 2007, a three-year-old patas monkey was donated to the Louisville Zoo by an individual. Do you know who donated the monkey?
And here are the answers:
- Columbia Gym was where Muhammad Ali, then known as Cassius Clay, learned to box at age 12.
- McCall shot Will Bill Hickok in the back of the head with a single-action .45-caliber revolver during a poker game. McCall used his intoxication as his defense to no avail. He was hanged in a public execution at age 24.
- NASCAR driver Tony Stewart donated his pet monkey, named Mojo, to the zoo when it became too aggressive to keep as a pet.