When the Bar Belle visited Highview earlier this month looking for a good time, she found four watering holes that thrived on live music — three that preferred pros and one that was kickin’ it with karaoke.
If you need another indication that Highview residents love their music loud and proud, the annual FridayFest series of free concerts returns on Friday, May 31, with The Honky-Tonk Band and the Southern Sirens. The concerts, which are run by Production Simple, take place every other Friday from 6 to 10 p.m. at Highview Park, 7201 Outer Loop.
For those who might not be familiar with the neighborhood, it’s located in the South End, sandwiched between Okolona and Fern Creek. And speaking of sandwiches, there also will be several food trucks at each FridayFest, and attendees are encouraged to bring chairs and/or blankets.
And if you didn’t catch it earlier, the concerts are both family-friendly and free.
A quick glance at this summer’s lineup features some heavy hitters like J.D. Shelburne, Tyrone Cotton and The Monarchs. Here’s the full schedule:
- Friday, May 31 — The Honky-Tonk Band, Southern Sirens
- Friday, June 14 — 100% Poly, Strung Out Loud
- Friday, June 28 — J.D. Shelburne, Scott T. Smith
- Friday, July 12 — Thumper & the Plaid Rabbits, Tyrone Cotton
- Friday, July 26 — The Monarchs, Melody Resurrection
- Friday, Aug. 9 — Killer Lips, Don Pedigo