The NCAA announced Tuesday that seven of its championship events will be hosted in Louisville through the year 2021, including the 2019 men’s basketball tournament South regional that will be held in the KFC Yum! Center.
The NCAA events in Louisville include:
- Nov. 16-18, 2018: Division I Women’s Field Hockey Championship, Trager Stadium (UofL)
- March 28 and 30, 2019: DI Men’s Basketball Regional, KFC Yum! Center
- May 12-15, 2019: DI Men’s Golf Regional, University of Louisville Golf Club
- Nov. 23, 2019: DIII Cross Country Championship, E. P. “Tom” Sawyer State Park
- May 13, 2020: DI Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Regional, E. P. “Tom” Sawyer State Park
- May 10-12, 2021: DI Women’s Golf Regional, University of Louisville Golf Club
- Nov. 20, 2021: DIII Cross Country National Championships, E. P. “Tom” Sawyer State Park
The Yum! Center hosted the first two rounds of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament in 2012 and 2015, as well as the South regional in 2016, which generated an estimated economic impact of $15 million for the city. UofL Athletic Association spokesman Kenny Klein says that while Louisville will host the South regional in 2019, the Cardinals would have to be placed in a different region, as teams are prohibited from playing on their home court in the NCAA tournament.